Flagship species: Vultur gryphus, (Andean Condor)
The Andean Condor is the biggest and heavier flying bird in the world. It reaches up to 3,3 meters wide in size. The adult Condors are black, they have white feathers on the back of the wings and they show a white necklace. Over their heads and part of their neck they have short, thick and rough feathers, as a result of the adaptation to their scavenging habits. The skin in this zone is soft and loose forming folds of reddish-purpurea coloration (Hilty & Brown, 1986).
- Aves Endémicas del Tour
- Fechas disponibles
- Que está incluido?
- Que NO está incluido?
- Preguntas Frecuentes
- Vulnerable and Under Risk Species
Their pick is strait in the proximal part of his head, curved downwards in the distal extreme with a black color in the base and white in the pick. A difference between the male and female is the iris, red in the females and coffee in the males. (Olivares, 1963). Another difference between females and males is that males have in their picks a fleshy crest.
The natural habitat of the Andean condor is the mountain ranges, moors, canyons and steep slopes of all climates. So, they have been seen in high mountains and also at sea level.
The Colombian geography, rich in valleys and mountains, becomes an ideal place for the condor to live, always and as soon as it is protected. The Andean condor populations has suffered in the last decades an alarming descent along the places where they live. Their main threat throughout the area in which they are distributed are the human beings, who have a wrong idea about the alleged predatory activity of these birds.
The reproductive rate of the species is low due to the time invested by the parents taking care of their chicks, and the fluctuations in the availability of food in the natural environment. Then, to keep the population stable, mortality rates must be very low, and that makes necessary that human beings may be very cooperative with the conservation of these birds.
In this tour, we will have the opportunity to share natural habits and processes of restoration of the species, in which we can contemplate the splendor in all its greatness, of this bird, our national badge.
Level of difficulty
In a scale of 1 to 6, the route of this tour has a level of difficulty estimated between 1 and 3 (the source of this information is the Guide of good practices of Nature Tourism).
What we are going to find
The tour runs from 1,700 msnm, to 4,500 msnm and lets us find temperatures that oscillate between 5°C and 28°C, that represents a gradient of very wide altitude and outlines a great, wonderful flora and fauna biodiversity, It is possible to get to the spots with better observation of condors in Colombia and also watch about other 200 species of birds, 10 of them endemic. Likewise, will be possible to have a unique and wonderful experience of the Colombian Andes.
Following are, the beautiful endemic birds with a very good hitting possibility, that we could watch throughout the tour.
This will be your itinerary:
ActivitiesArrival to Bogotá. Reception at El Dorado Airport and transfer to the Hotel. Afternoon (optional) Golden Museum - National Museum / City Tour Downtown Bogotá. Bogotá Plaza Hotel
ActivitiesBogotá: National University of Colombia (UN), Natural History Museum of the National Science Institute UN. Afternoon: Bogotá Botanic Garden and visit to Monserrate Mountain. Bogotá Plaza Hotel Hotel Bogotá Plaza
ActivitiesBogotá: Path Suasie Corto Tour (Mirador) del Parque Nacional Natural Chingaza. Afternoon: Guasca Municipality: La Calera Hummingbird Observatory Reserve. Bogotá Plaza Hotel.
ActivitiesAir trip to Bogotá – Popayán (Guillermo León Valencia Airport). La Plata Municipality: Purace Piedra del Cóndor National Natural Park (PNN) . Afternoon: Hot spring PNN San Juan Purace. Hotel la Plazuela
ActivitiesLa Plata Municipality: PNN Puracé, Piedra del Cóndor. Road trip to : Puracé – Cali. Ms Ciudad Jardín Hotel.
ActivitiesCali - municipio de Pance: PNN Farallones de Cali – Cañón del Pato. Ms Ciudad Jardín Hotel.
ActivitiesArmenia: el Café Park. Evening: Road trip to Manizales. Varuna Hotel.
ActivitiesManizales: los Nevados PNN – el Silencio Valley. Evening: air trip Pereira – Bogotá. Bogotá Plaza Hotel
ActivitiesTocancipá Municipality: Jaime Duque Park. Afternoon: Choconta town, Suchequincha Reserve. Bogotá Plaza Hotel.
ActivitiesEnd of tour: Escort to El Dorado Airport and farewell. Trip to the original countries.
Vest (indicate size), cap, tula, water container, map, whistle, lantern, rain protector checklist for sighting in every tour.
- Terrestrial at every route of the Program: by automobile, vans and/or 4×4 according to conditions of the road.
- Transportation to the airport – hotel – airport
- Airplane tickets, national according to the Program.
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner at all locations.
- 2 snacks daily including water bottles.
- All the hotels included in the itinerary.
- Eco-lodges in the natural reserves.
- Towels and bedclothes provided in all the places.
- Tickets, taxes and permits in all national parks and natural reserves.
You will be accompanied by an expert Coordinate guide of the book at all times, besides:
- You will be accompanied for a guide expert on sighting of: birds and/or orchids and/or butterflies and/or a local guide expert on trekking all the time
- Automobile experienced drivers
Event insurance through everyday traveling in Colombia with the following coverages:
Maximum global amount USD 150.000
Medical assistance in case of accident*
Up to USD 150.000
Medical assistance in case of non-persistent disease*
Up to USD 150.00
First medical in case of pre-existent disease*
Up to USD 500
Emergency dentistry (Max. USD 300 by piece)
Up to USD 700
Ambulatory drugs Up to USD 2.000
Medication in case of hospitalization Included
Prosthesis and orthosis Up to USD 3.500
Sanitary transfers Included
Repatriations (sanitary or funeral) Up to USD 100.000
Return of the repatriated owner´s companion included
Transfer of a relative included
Stay of a relative for USD 100 per day Maximum USD 500
Hotel expenses for convalescence for USD 180 per day Maximum USD 1.100
Accompaniment of children or adults included
Reimbursement of expenses for delayed or cancelled flight Up to USD 300
Early return due to a serious accident at home included
Rate difference for delayed or anticipated return trip included
Sports practice up to USD 10.000
Pregnancy status up to USD 10.00
Legal assistance for liability in an accident Loan up to USD 8.000
Advance of funds for bails Loan up to USD 8.000
Transmission of urgent messages included
Assistance in case of theft or loss of documents etc.
Luggage location included
Accidental death as a passenger in public transport holder of 18 years or older USD 100.000
Under 18 years old USD 60.000
Total and permanent disability in case of accident under 70 y/old USD 40.000
Indemnification for loss of luggage supplementary up to USD 1.200
Compensation for delay in location of luggage Over 8 hs. up to USD 200
Over 10 days up to USD 1.000
Cancelation for any reason** under 70 y/old up to USD 500
Maximum validity per trip:
annual cards 30 to 60 days cards per day and long stay: 365 days
Territorial validity: international (5C) – International receptive (6)
limitations by age: valid for holders under 70 y/old
*Includes medical consults, attention by specialists, contact with the acting pediatrician, births and stages of pregnancy up to week 26, complementary medical exams, physical recovery therapy in , the case of traumatism, medication, emergency dentistry, hospitalization, surgical intervention, intensive therapy and coordinate unit.
**guaranty included in the international cards (no receptive), issued by blocks of days
IMPORTANT: All the international products allow the expansion of the amount or add this guarantee.
Important: the indicated insurance is protected by policies hired with insurance companies. The exclusions of habitual and/or legal use apply for this type of coverage and are approved by the insurance control agency of the country where the ASSIST CARD is issued.
The general conditions to which is limited ASSIST CARD are available to the public and can be consulted at any moment without any purchasing compromise in the sales stores, by phone or at www.assist-card.com.
Some products consider limitations by age. The pre-existing diseases have exclusions and limitations in the benefits. Consult those corresponding to the product elected by you. ASSIST-CARD reserves the right to introduce modifications to the reach and descriptions of the service. Consult at the time of the hiring.
- Medical transfers by accident (up to the limit of expenses) included
- Transfers and companion stay in case of accident up to $ 2.000.000
- Transfers and companion stay by accidental death up to $ 2.000.000
- Transfers of mortal remains up to $ 8.000.000
- Indemnity for accidental death 24 hours a day $50.000.000
- Indemnity for disability or accidental dismemberment up to $50.000.000
- Indemnity for accidental death in terrestrial, fluvial or maritime transport $12.000.000
- Indemnity for death with fire arm, punctured or blunt weapon $ 10.000.000
- Indemnity for luggage loss in air transport up to $ 2.500.000
- Expenses on first need articles in luggage loss under public terrestrial transportation up to $ 300.000
- Compensation assistance of funeral expenses in case of accident up to $ 4.000.000
- International flights and taxes
- Personal bathroom items
- Laundry service
- Room service
- Tips and gratuities
- Medical expenses not covered by the events policy
- Beer and alcoholic drinks
- Local, national or international calls
- Activities NOT included in the itinerary
- Days neither additional services by situations of greater force, fortuitous events or third party facts.
I accept all the general requirements previously described, at the time of performing the payment for the confirmation of the reserve of the selected program.
No Details Found
Following are mentioned the species going under a threaten condition that we can find in this tour (see Colombian red book of birds)
- Crypturellus obsoletus: Tinamú pardo (Brown Tinamou)
- Oxyura jamaicensis: Pato turrio (Ruddy Duck)
- Crypturellus obsoletus: Tinamú pardo (Brown Tinamou)
- Penelope perspicax: Pava del Cauca (Cauca Guan)
- Eriocnemis cupreoventris: Calzoncito buchicobrizo (Coppery – bellid Puffleg)
- Porphyriops melanops: Tingua piquiverde bogotana (Spot – flanked Gallinule)
- Andigena hypoglauca: Tucan andino (Gray – breasted Mountain – Toucan)
- Hapalopsittaca amazonina: Cotorra montañera (Rusty – faced Parrot)
- Leptosittaca branickii: Perico paramun (Golden – plumed Parakeet)
- Grallaria rufocinerea: Tororoi bicolor (Bicolored Antpitta)
- Grallaria alleni: Tororoi bigotudo (Moustached Antpitta)
- Cranioleuca curtata: Curitie cejigris (Ash – browed Spinetail)
- Pseudocolopteryx acutipennis: Doradito tropical (Subtropical Doradito)
- Muscisaxicola maculirostris: Dormilona chica (Spot – billed Ground – Tyrant)
- Pyroderus scutatus: Toropizco montañero (Red – ruffed Fruitcrow)
- Saltator cinctus: Saltator enmascarado (Masked saltator)
- Sericossypha albocristata: Tangara coroniblanca (White – capped Tanager)